*** IMPORTANT NOTICE (Updated 31 August 2020):
In light of current public health challenges, all of our scheduled in-person prayer services are *** cancelled through the end of January 2021. *** In the interim, our weekly prayer services will be conducted via Zoom sessions. (If you are not a registered member/volunteer and would like to participate in one of our Zoom prayer services, please email email@example.com with your request.) When we get closer to February 2021 (or at other times, if circumstances warrant), the DMIEC Council will reassess the situation and determine whether our community can safely resume in-person services and events or whether the period of cancellations will need to be extended further.
How Can I Keep Up to Date About the Weekly Sunday Prayer Services? Please check this home page and your email inbox regularly for any new DMIEC announcements. Registered members and volunteers are encouraged to click on the Prayer Aid tab to see the prayer aid that had been prepared for this Sunday. To see the readings for any particular Sunday, go to the Calendar and click on that Sunday’s date. Thank you for your patience, understanding and support as we make difficult, but necessary decisions in this challenging time. Be healthy and safe!
We need your help! DMIEC’s fall cleanup morning is Saturday, October 31. For more info, please click here. Thanks to everyone helping to keep the DMIEC grounds looking great, even in our absence!
Catholic Worker House Needs (updated October 17, 2020):
- Volunteers needed Tuesdays and Thursdays 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- For CWH Guests:
- Underwear for men and women, L and XL
- Hand and toe warmers
- Winter coats
- Cold and flu medicine
- For the kitchen:
- Garlic and onion powder/BBQ sauce/Pasta sauce/Butter/Eggs
- To-go containers with or without compartments (CWH uses 140 to-go containers daily!)
- Drinking cups with lids
- Sandwich bags
- Bulk meat (frozen meats, sandwich meats, precooked meats)
- Coffee grinder
- Paring knives
You have two drop-off options:
- Gelhaus-Pokorny home (address in member directory): All items EXCEPT MEAT. Martha and Kevin make a weekly Saturday afternoon delivery to CWH. Drop off items before 11:00 a.m. on Saturdays. If they are not home, please leave items on the front steps.
- Directly to CW House: Go to the back door of the Dingman House, 1310 7th St. (Use alley off Indiana Ave., one block north of University Ave. behind the house. Take 9th St. north of University Ave. a half block to Indiana Ave. Go east past 8th St. to alley. Open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday, 3:00-7:00 p.m.; Saturday, 12:00-5:00 p.m.)
Monetary contributions can be sent to Des Moines Catholic Worker, P.O. Box 4551, Des Moines, 50305.
Thanks to all who can make contributions.
Before you ask DMIEC to send an email to the membership, please review the guidelines available under the Quick Info & Links menu. Thank you!