*** IMPORTANT NOTICE (Updated 31 August 2020):
In light of current public health challenges, all of our scheduled in-person prayer services are *** cancelled through the end of January 2021. *** In the interim, our weekly prayer services will be conducted via Zoom sessions. (If you are not a registered member/volunteer and would like to participate in one of our Zoom prayer services, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.) When we get closer to February 2021 (or at other times, if circumstances warrant), the DMIEC Council will reassess the situation and determine whether our community can safely resume in-person services and events or whether the period of cancellations will need to be extended further.
Thank you for your patience, understanding and support as we make difficult, but necessary decisions in this challenging time. Be healthy and safe!
This past Sunday was DMARC Emergency Food Pantries Sunday.
For information about how to donate to the Des Moines Area Religious Council’s Emergency Food Pantries, please click here.
For more information about the DMARC Emergency Food Pantries, please visit their website https://www.dmarcunited.org/food/
“Alternative” Alternative Gift Market.
DMIEC annually hosts a live Alternative Gift Market. Multiple non-profits have joined us in the past, and the market grew to nearly 15 participating organizations last year. Due to COVID-19, we are unable to host a live Market this year. However, we are pleased to present an “Alternative” Alternative Gift Market featuring many of the charitable organizations who normally have booths at the live Market.
Please click here for important information about the mission, purpose, and contact information for each participating organization. Please make donations/purchases directly with each organization.
Please continue to support these worthy organizations as you are able in an effort of solidarity to improve the lives of our brothers and sisters locally, nationally, and globally.
Any questions? Contact Cindy Mumm, 515-657-1667
Catholic Worker House Needs (updated October 17, 2020):
With temperatures going down and winter soon upon us, the need for coats, blankets, gloves, scarves and other winter protection skyrockets. A blanket or coat on a cold night could save a life.
- Volunteers needed Tuesdays and Thursdays 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Call Ruth at 515-305-4345)
- For CWH Guests:
- Underwear for men and women, L and XL
- Hand and toe warmers
- Winter coats
- Cold and flu medicine
- For the kitchen:
- Garlic and onion powder/BBQ sauce/Pasta sauce/Butter/Eggs
- To-go containers with or without compartments (CWH uses 140 to-go containers daily!)
- Drinking cups with lids
- Sandwich bags
- Urgent Need – Bulk meat (frozen meats, sandwich meats, precooked meats)
- Coffee grinder
- Paring knives
You have two drop-off options:
- Gelhaus-Pokorny home (address in member directory): All items EXCEPT MEAT. Martha and Kevin make a weekly Saturday afternoon delivery to CWH. Drop off items before 11:00 a.m. on Saturdays. If they are not home, please leave items on the front steps.
- Directly to CW House: Go to the back door of the Dingman House, 1310 7th St. (Use alley off Indiana Ave., one block north of University Ave. behind the house. Take 9th St. north of University Ave. a half block to Indiana Ave. Go east past 8th St. to alley. Open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday, 3:00-7:00 p.m.; Saturday, 12:00-5:00 p.m.)
Monetary contributions can be sent to Des Moines Catholic Worker, P.O. Box 4551, Des Moines, 50305.
Thanks to all who can make contributions.
How Can I Keep Up to Date About the Weekly Sunday Prayer Services?
Please check this home page and your email inbox regularly for any new DMIEC announcements. Registered members and volunteers are encouraged to click on the Prayer Aid tab to see the prayer aid that had been prepared for this Sunday. To see the readings for any particular Sunday, go to the Calendar and click on that Sunday’s date.
Before you ask DMIEC to send an email to the membership, please review the guidelines available under the Quick Info & Links menu. Thank you!