*** IMPORTANT NOTICE (Issued January 2021):
In light of current public health challenges, all of our scheduled in-person prayer services are *** cancelled through the end of April 2021. *** In the interim, our weekly prayer services will be conducted via Zoom sessions. (If you are not a registered member/volunteer and would like to participate in one of our Zoom prayer services, please email email@example.com with your request.)
Thank you for your patience, understanding and support as we make difficult, but necessary decisions in this challenging time. Be healthy and safe!
February 28 Prayer Service – Alternate Reading
Please note that an alternate first reading will be used this Sunday and is available here.
DMARC Emergency Food Pantries Sunday – February 21
Every third Sunday we encourage special donations to the Des Moines Area Religious Council’s (DMARC) emergency food pantries. For more information, please click here.
Catholic Worker House Needs (updated February 17, 2021):
With cold temperatures the rule and winter fully upon us, the need for coats, blankets, gloves, scarves and other winter protection skyrockets. A blanket or coat on a cold night could save a life.
- Winter weather needs:
- Winter gloves, scarves and hats
- Blankets and sleeping bags
- Winter clothes of all kinds
- Other Needs:
- 33-gallon plastic garbage bags
- Cooking oil
- Single can soups and meats with lift-off tops
- Toilet paper
- Bulk plastic forks (available at Hockenbergs Foodservice Supply, 6000 NW Aurora, DSM (515-282-0033)
- Toothpaste and deodorant
You have two drop-off options:
- Gelhaus-Pokorny home (address in member directory): All items EXCEPT MEAT. Martha and Kevin make a weekly Saturday afternoon delivery to CWH. Drop off items before noon on Saturdays. Call or text us to make sure we are home. Kevin – 515-205-5513, Martha Gelhaus 515-210-7313.
- Directly to CW House: Go to the back door of the Dingman House, 1310 7th St. (Use alley off Indiana Ave., one block north of University Ave. behind the house. Take 9th St. north of University Ave. a half block to Indiana Ave. Go east past 8th St. to alley. Open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday, 3:00-6:30 p.m.; Saturday, 12:00-2:00 p.m.)
For more info and delivery contact at the Catholic Worker:
Frank Cordaro <firstname.lastname@example.org> 515 490 2490
Jenny Rodrigues Santos <email@example.com> 781 985 4068
Austin Cook <firstname.lastname@example.org> 515 9718721
Monetary contributions can be sent to Des Moines Catholic Worker, P.O. Box 4551, Des Moines, 50305.
Thanks to all who can make contributions.
- Winter weather needs:
“Alternative” Alternative Gift Market is Ongoing.
DMIEC annually hosts a live Alternative Gift Market. Multiple non-profits have joined us in the past, and the market grew to nearly 15 participating organizations last year. Due to COVID-19, we are unable to host a live Market this year. However, we are pleased to present an “Alternative” Alternative Gift Market featuring many of the charitable organizations who normally have booths at the live Market.
Please click here for important information about the mission, purpose, and contact information for each participating organization. Please make donations/purchases directly with each organization.
Please continue to support these worthy organizations as you are able in an effort of solidarity to improve the lives of our brothers and sisters locally, nationally, and globally.
Any questions? Contact Cindy Mumm, 515-657-1667
How Can I Keep Up to Date About the Weekly Sunday Prayer Services?
Please check this home page and your email inbox regularly for any new DMIEC announcements. Registered members and volunteers are encouraged to click on the Prayer Aid tab to see the prayer aid that had been prepared for this Sunday. To see the readings for any particular Sunday, go to the Calendar and click on that Sunday’s date.
Before you ask DMIEC to send an email to the membership, please review the guidelines available under the Quick Info & Links menu. Thank you!