All are welcome at our table.
The Des Moines Intentional Eucharistic Community (DMIEC) gathers weekly to share and celebrate our faith in spirited and creative liturgy. Our Eucharistic prayer services are rooted in Catholic tradition, but we recognize that each of us can better know our own faith through insights drawn from others. We value inclusivity: inclusive language, inclusive homilies, and inclusive prayer leadership.
Although our worship format varies somewhat from season to season and at the option of each week’s prayer leaders, the following general format is used on most Sundays:
- Welcoming remarks by volunteer prayer leaders
- Opening song and blessing
- Opening prayer
- Readings (ordinarily the following using the “ABC” 3-year liturgical cycles, but subject to change by prayer leaders)
- Old Testament
- Responsorial Psalm
- New Testament
- Dialogue homily (comments and reflections on the readings by prayer leaders and any attendees wishing to comment – no obligation to do so)
- Prayers of the people
- Communal offering
- Offertory song
- Eucharistic prayer
- The Lord’s Prayer
- Exchange of peace
- Communion prayer
- Communion (all are invited)
- Communion meditation
- Prayer after communion
- Healing blessing for homebound communicants
- Announcements and celebrations
- Closing prayer
- Final blessing
- Closing song
Members and visitors are encouraged to participate throughout to the degree they feel comfortable and to feel free to ask the person next to them for guidance if anything is unclear. Rest assured – mistakes and gentle humor are hallmarks of our services.
After the service concludes, we invite everyone to stay and enjoy treats and conversation over a cup of coffee.
To see a sample worship service prayer aid, please click here.